South Hampstead by-election: Residents have just two weeks left to apply for free voter ID

polling station
polling station
Voters go to the polls on 1 June. Photograph: Martin Deutsch

South Hampstead voters without photo ID have just a couple of weeks left to apply for a certificate so they can choose one of the four candidates in next month’s by-election.

The ward was only created last year and the by-election was triggered after Will Prince resigned to move to the US for work after a year serving as a Labour councillor.

The ward is made up of parts of Swiss Cottage as well as Kilburn and West Hampstead as part of the boundary shake-up.

Voters can choose between the four main parties on election day on Thursday 1 June. They will pick between two former councillors and two first-time Camden candidates.

Social worker Tommy Gale is standing for Labour for the first time.

Former deputy mayor Lorna Greenwood is running as the Green candidate. She crossed the floor from Labour in 2021 and lost her Fortune Green seat in the May 2022 full council elections.

Patrick Stillman, whose work involves tackling financial crimes, is the Liberal Democrat candidate.

Hampstead and Kilburn Conservatives chairman and former Swiss Cottage councillor Don Williams is standing for the Local Conservatives.

The current council is made up of 45 Labour councillors, five Liberal Democrats, three Conservatives and one Green.

Voters will have to show photo ID at the polling station under new rules which came in this year.

People without suitable ID such as a passport, photo driving licence, Blue Badge pass or bus pass can apply for a free voter authority certificate.

They need to get their applications in by 5pm on 23 May so the paperwork can be completed.

Apply for photo ID to vote (called a ‘Voter Authority Certificate’) – GOV.UK (

Voters can also apply for a postal vote. The deadline is 5pm on Tuesday 16 May.

South Hampstead residents not yet on the electoral roll also need to get their skates on as the deadline is midnight on Monday 15 May.

They can apply at  or by calling 020 7974 4444. If people need a paper application form, they can email

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.